Black pepper chicken is my favorite dish at Panda Express. I love the combination of sautéed chicken, onions and bold black pepper. So glad I finally tried making it at home. The good news is its super easy and quick!
I LOVE black pepper chicken. I was craving the black pepper mixed with chicken flavor last night and decided to give it a go in my own kitchen.
Why has it taken me so long to try making black pepper chicken at home? I do not know. Homemade black pepper chicken is fabulous and fresh! I anticipate this dish will be made over and over again in this here kitchen.
This is a quick, fresh, and healthy meal to make when you’re short on time. All it takes is one saute pan, chicken, celery, onion, and black pepper (and a few extras), and you’re ready to go. I love one pan meals. They make me so happy.
This dinner is SO simple and rivals black pepper chicken panda express style. After the 30 minute marinade, the browning of chicken and sautéing of veggies takes about 15 minutes.
Tips for yummy black pepper chicken:
- Remember to use freshly ground black pepper.
- Set your grinder to large black pepper flakes. I started grinding my pepper with the small flake setting – much better when I adjusted to the large flakes.
- I used chicken thigh meat, but you can also use chicken breast. Lately, I’ve just been preferring the richer taste of the thigh meat.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1.5 pound chicken breast
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced on a bias
- ½ medium yellow or white onion, chopped into 1 inch squares
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper (make sure to set your grinder to big black pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Cut the chicken into one inch bites.
- Combine chicken, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, cornstarch and ground ginger in covered dish or large ziplock bag, and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Using two tablespoons of canola oil, heat a wok or saute pan on high.
- When oil is hot and bubbly, add the chicken.
- Cook on high heat until browned.
- Remove from the pan and add in the celery and onions with the remaining two tablespoons of canola oil.
- Cook the veggies on high for 30-45 seconds.
- You aren't looking to soften them, just to slightly cook them.
- Add in the remaining two tablespoons of soy sauce, the remaining ½ tablespoon of chili vinegar, the cooked chicken and the black pepper.
- Cook for 15 seconds to combine everything and and serve immediately.