This Crockpot Butter Chicken recipe is easy to make, makes your house smell amazing, and delivers a delicious and healthy meal ready and warming in your slow cooker.
I really love this crockpot butter chicken recipe.
The many different tastes in this recipe including cumin, cayenne pepper, yogurt, lemon juice and ginger combine to create a depth of flavor that makes me feel like a gourmet cook. I like that.
Seriously, the spices in this dish meld so well with the yogurt, tomato sauce and heavy cream to create a gourmet restaurant feel. The house smells divine when I’m cooking this crockpot butter chicken.
Thats one of the best things about crockpots – the delicious aroma that overtakes the house and makes it feel so warm.
Tips for this tasty slow cooker butter chicken:
- Remember to put the whole chicken breasts in the marinade bag. Later, you will cut the chicken into 2 inch pieces right before placing in the crockpot.
- Marinade the chicken in the fridge overnight. If you run out of time, its still delicious if you only marinade for an hour or two. I know this because that’s how I cooked it the first time, and it was still gobbled up by the whole fam.
- Don’t forget the chopped cilantro. The extra texture adds another pop of flavor.
- You can serve the chicken with rice and a veggie or throw the chicken on top of a plate of greens for a lower carb dinner.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might like:
Crockpot Butter Chicken
This Crockpot Butter Chicken recipe is easy to make, makes your house smell amazing, and delivers a delicious and healthy meal for your family. So, break out your slow cooker and try this recipe very soon. Your family will thank you.
- 1 cup yogurt (plain)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
After chicken has been marinated overnight
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
The night before cooking, add the yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, black pepper, ginger, salt and whole chicken breasts to a large ziploc bag.
Once you have zipped the bag closed, work the mixture into the chicken until all incorporated. Refrigerate marinading chicken overnight.
When you're ready to cook the chicken, scrape most of the marinade off the chicken and cut into 2 inch pieces. Add the butter, garlic and jalapeno into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Place the chicken pieces on top of the butter, garlic and jalapeño.
In a small bowl add the 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, tomato sauce and heavy cream. Stir ingredients to combine.
Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover your slow cooker, and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Stir the cornstarch into the one tablespoon of water and add to the slow cooker and stir. You will want to add the cornstarch mixture pretty quickly - the mixture turns to paste pretty quickly.
Turn your slow cooker up to high and cook an additional 20 minutes. Top butter chicken and rice with cilantro before serving. So good.
Adapted from Dinner Then Dessert