This is a REALLY easy israeli cous cous side dish to prepare on a whim when you need one more item on the dinner plate.
I was feeling like something filling that I could mix with veggies and serve with the cod and halibut I was preparing for dinner. The Israeli cous cous box in my cupboard was looking like the answer.
I’ve made israeli cous cous before, but I do not remember browning the cous cous before, and let me tell you, it does make a difference. I sautéed the cous cous in olive oil for a few minutes until it was lightly browned. This process made the dish so much more flavorful with the veggies mixed in.
I am in love with kalamata olives. Whenever I put them in any dish, whatever it is, becomes fantastic, and this dish was no exception. I basically just threw in whatever veggies I had available: red onion, red pepper, and kalamata olives. You can also throw in feta cheese, basil, arugula. The browned taste of the cous cous tastes fabulous with the veggies.
Everyone loved this recipe. I always feel like its such a big win when all of my five love a dish.
Easy Israeli Cous Cous Dish
- 16 oz Box of Israeli Cous Cous
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 red peppers
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- Cook cous cous as instructions outline on box. Be sure to brown the cous cous before adding boiling water.
- Chop red peppers, red onion.
- Cut kalamata olives in half.
- Toss prepared cous cous with veggies and serve.
- You can add other items including chopped basil, arugula,or feta cheese