Shepherd’s pie is the epitome of comfort food. Buttery mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, ground meat with tomato paste and worcester sauce. Need I say more?
And, a nice bonus is that the pie is loaded with veggies. I used a frozen package of corn, peas, carrots and string beans and it was perfect.
This is definitely a rich recipe, so a little goes a long way. We have some left in the fridge now for lunches tomorrow.
Golden potatoes and cheddar cheese. Yum and yum.
Worcester sauce is one of my favs.
Sour cream and butter added to potatoes.
Scrumptious shepherd’s pie is ready for cooking. 🙂
- Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium size gold potatoes
- 4 T Butter
- Dollop of sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- Meat Filling
- 1½ pound ground meat
- 1 medium onion
- 2 T flour
- ½ t teaspoon pepper and sea salt
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth (chicken or vegetable is fine as well)
- ½ T worcester sauce
- ½ t dried oregano
- 12 oz bag mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas) - I included green beans
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- For Mashed Potatoes
- Place potatoes into boiling water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain water from pot and mashed potatoes with butter, milk and sour cream.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray bottom of 13x9 baking dish.
- For Meat Filling
- Cook ground beef, onion, salt and pepper in skillet until brown and crumbly. Drain grease.
- Add flour and stir in for one minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, worcester sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low.
- Stir in frozen veggies.
- Cook for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Spread meat mixture on bottom of greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Layer mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of potatoes.
- Cook for 35 minutes until hot and bubbly.