How to color fondant is a popular question for fondant newbies. I know, because I’m new to the fondant world myself. Good news….coloring fondant is much easier than I anticipated.
If you are making your own homemade fondant like the marshmallow fondant recipe I recently posted, then the coloring part will be your next step toward making beautiful decorations for your cake projects.
Once you have stored your homemade fondant for at least 12 hours, you will want to knead it with your hands to warm it up and make it more pliable. Using a gel color, dip a toothpick in the color you’ve chosen and rub in the middle of the fondant ball. Fold the fondant over the color and begin to knead. You will see the fondant start to change to the color.
If you would like the color to be darker, simply dip the toothpick and rub in the fondant ball again.
This is really all there is coloring fondant. Have fun will all of the stunning gel colors available today.
- Gel Color
- Kneading surface
- Knead the fondant ball until your warm hands create a more pliable fondant ball.
- Create small reservoir in middle of ball.
- Dip toothpick in gel color and rub toothpick in reservoir.
- Knead fondant ball until color spreads throughout ball.
- Add more gel color if you would like a darker color.