Lemon white chocolate chip cookies anyone? Fresh lemon and white chocolate chips….hmmm……
Wow, these are such a nice surprise. There are no words to adequately describe the complete wonderfulness of this flavor combo.
Growing up, I remember eating lemon bars with lots of powdered sugar on top, and loving every moment. But, I do not remember trying many lemon cookies.
The mix of white chocolate and lemon is extraordinary. They taste like a warm and breezy summer day where you’re lounging on the beach listening to the waves (or your favorite playlist). Not a humid 120 degree, sticky yucky summer day, but the most PERFECT summer day you can possibly imagine. 🙂
I believe the magic is in the fresh lemon juice and zest. Lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest…whenever zest is involved, magic happens.
I used regular flavor crisco shortening instead of butter. There are many cookies out there that I believe taste a little lighter (less dense) with crisco. The lighter texture allows you to really experience the taste of the white chocolate chips and lemon.
I know I talk about dough a lot, but honestly, this dough is out of this world. This might be tied with rocky road cookies as the best dough eating experience out there.
I made three cookie sheets of these cookies. I think about 10 minutes at 350 degrees is the best. When you take them out of the oven, they will still look a little soft and not quite done, but they cool up very nicely. They cool up and become chewy on the inside with just the slightest crunch on the outside.
When I cooked the last tray for 12 minutes, the cookies were a little too crunchy on the outside. They definitely looked brown after 12 minutes. Still yummy, but I prefer the chewier version. I mention this to illustrate how sensitive this recipe is to your cooking time.
Enjoy these lip smacking treats!! 🙂
- 1½ cup lemon boxed cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ t baking soda
- ¾ cup original flavor crisco shortening, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ½ t vanilla extract
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together boxed cake mix, flour, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a electric mixer bowl, cream the butter, and sugars together on medium speed.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix just until combined and not a second more. DO NOT over mix.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough bowl and refrigerate for a least an hour. I refrigerated my dough for several hours. The refrigeration really helps hold the dough together and makes it much easier when scooping out mounds for the cookie tray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out chilled dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake between 9-11 minutes. (I mentioned in post above, I think 10 mins is perfect and 12 minutes a little too much).
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for four minutes, then pull cookies while still on the parchment paper onto a wire rack to cook completely.
- Enjoy!! 🙂
- Slightly adapted from Sarah's Bake Studio