These cookies are quite possibly the best mixture of peanut butter and chocolate in a cookie that I have ever tasted.
The half a cup of oatmeal adds a texture that complements the peanut butter and chocolate perfectly.
Chocolate chunks as opposed to chocolate chips makes all the difference. Its fun to chop up a chocolate bar and the freshly cut chocolate adds a boost of freshness that you just cannot achieve with chocolate chips.
I would also recommend doubling this recipe. My family of five cleared out the cookie jar in two days.
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½t vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1t baking soda
- ¼t salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1½ cup chopped hershey chocolate bars (either large or small work well)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla and egg until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until just moistened.
- Mix in the oats and chocolate chunks until evenly distributed.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on to lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges start to brown. Cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.