I was making a cod dinner for the fam yesterday, and was trying to think of the perfect dessert to match the fish dinner. Craving chocolate as usual, I decided cookies with chocolate and nuts would be perfect (I decide chocolate and nut filled cookies are perfect a. lot. ).
These are beyond delectable. The family gobbled them up. Imagine eating a piece of fresh, warm, rocky road fudge with a slight cookie crunch. Decadent. The cookies are TO.DIE.FOR.
The good news is that because of their richness, I was happy after only two (although truth be told, I also ate dough). Usually, after 6 or 7 cookies, I think about stopping.
I love how the marshmallows are slightly browned after the 12-14 minutes in the oven. The slightly browned taste complements the melting chocolate and sliced almonds so well.
Almonds in rocky road are a first for me in baked goods. Usually walnuts are the main player in rocky road recipes. The sliced almonds are perfect for this recipe which excels by focusing on the taste of the melting chocolate and gooey marshmallows.
I recommend watching them in the oven around the 12 minute mark, so as not to overbake.
I placed the remaining cookies in the fridge overnight, and I can tell you, they are just as amazing cold as they are warm out of the oven. Yum. Yum. I LOVE chocolate.
So, quick sugar craving fix achieved with these little wonders.
Definitely will be making again soon.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ t salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cups sliced almonds
- mini marshmallows (enough for 4 per cookie)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Which in salt to mixture. Add the egg whites and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and sliced almonds.
- Use a cookie dough scooper to place small mounds of dough on parchment paper, then top each cookie with 4 mini marshmallows.
- Place cookies in freezer for 5 minutes prior to baking to help prevent spreading too much in the oven. They will still turn out delicious if you skip this part. 🙂
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the marshmallows are browned. Let the cookies sit on the paper for a few minutes to set. Move the cookies onto wire rack while still on paper to cool. It will take about 15 minutes to cool enough where you can pick up the cookie without it falling apart.
- Enjoy this very special treat!!
- Recipe adapted from Fifteen Spatulas