Easy soft chocolate chip cookie recipe from scratch, using one bowl. These homemade cookies with melting chocolate and a soft cookie base are ahhmazing.
These soft chocolate chip cookies are SO good.
What is so great about a simple chocolate chip cookie, you ask?
- They are so soft and pillowy
- Chopped semi-sweet chocolate mixed with chocolate chips is a match made in heaven
- The way the chocolate is so nice and melty when these babies come out of the oven
- How these cookies are so large, they’re easy to hold and not greasy at all
- How you only need to use ONE bowl to throw these cookies together
Love, love, love this recipe. If you’ve been following along, you know how I love my cookie dough. This dough knocks it out to the park.
Its crumbly at first, then you pat it and smash it into a ball, add in the chocolates, and voila, best dough ever.
This recipe and my brown butter chocolate chip cookies recipe might be tied for best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. This recipe produces cakey chocolate chip cookies, while the brown butter is obey gooey, buttery goodness.
Amazing how different chocolate chip cookies can turn out, isn’t it?
I’m awarding this recipe with “best cakey chocolate chip cookie recipe” on five silver spoons.
Yay, now I can call this an award winning chocolate chip cookie recipe. See, how I can wield my power as blog owner when you least expect it?
Tips for these soft chocolate chip cookies:
- DO NOT OVERBAKE. Part of the perfection of these cookies is how soft the whole darn cookie is. If you bake it too much, poof, the softness disappears. When you remove them from the oven, they will look pale and puffy, that’s what you want.
- Definitely use the mixture of chopped semi sweet chocolate bar and semi sweet chocolate chips. The chopped chocolate pieces (I used a Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate bar) melt marvelously, and the chips hold their shape better, so you have a nice blend of textures.
- You will be surprised by how manageable the dough is, since its a drier dough than you’re probably used to. You will add a few extra tablespoons of flour to the dough until the dough is easy to pull part. The dough should be between the wet dough / dry dough dividing line.
Hope you enjoy these amazing soft chocolate chip cookies as much as we did.
You might also like:
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easy soft chocolate chip cookie recipe from scratch, using one bowl. These homemade cookies with melting chocolate pieces and chips, with their soft cookie base are amazing.
- 8 tbsp salted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (add more as needed until dough pulls apart easily)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (heaping) mix of chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in microwavable bowl for about 50 seconds until it is just melted. Do not overcook. Its ok to see a few tiny chunks of butter.
Using your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the sugars with the melted butter until well mixed and creamy.
Add the egg and vanilla to the mixture and beat for about 10-15 seconds. If an egg is beat too much, the cookie will not be as pillowy soft as we're going for here.
Add in the flour, baking soda and salt until a crumbly mixture forms. Pat the dough together until it forms a ball. If its greasy at first, this means you need to add a touch more flour. I added an additional 4 tablespoons flour. You want the dough to come apart easily. It will feel drier than most doughs.
Add in the chocolate chips and chocolate pieces. Work chocolate into dough ball with your hands.
Roll the dough into 9-10 large dough balls and place on baking sheet. Allow enough room for each cookie spread as it cooks. These are large cookies.
Cook for 9-11 minutes until they are pale in color, and puffy. Remove from oven and let them sit on baking sheet for 30 minutes. They are perfect after 30 minutes. SO good.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum