These soft pumpkin cookies with sugar glaze icing are pillowy soft and bursting with pumpkin pie flavor.
Soft pumpkin cookies with sugar glaze frosting, how delicious are you? Not only is the cookie recipe fabulous, but the frosting recipe rocks as well.
With pumpkin pie spices in both the soft cookie and the glaze, these cookies are a unique treat year around. So light with the perfect amount of sweetness.
I’m so glad I now have another way to enjoy pumpkin in my recipe arsenal. These soft pumpkin cookies with sugar glaze are such a treat. The soft texture of the cookie with the hardened glaze on top is the perfect combo. The pumpkin pie spice kicks the flavor up a few notches, and makes it really difficult to stop at 1,2, ok 5 of these cookies. 🙂
Tips for these soft pumpkin cookies with sugar glaze:
- The recipe calls for flattening out the top of the cookies with a glass – it helps to spray the bottom of the glass with a spray butter of your choice (I use PAM). This prevents the glass from sticking to the dough.
- You can also dip the bottom of the glass in granulated sugar before pressing down on the dough.
- Definitely follow the directions to wait 3-5 minutes until the cookies have cooled before frosting, or you will have a crumby mess on your hands.
- I like using a mini spatula for the frosting job. So much easier to spread this way than a knife.
- Do not over-mix the batter. If you over-mix, you will take away the lightness of the cookie texture and it will become too dense.
Its so fun watching the glaze fall down the sides of the slightly warm cookie.
These are a few more pumpkin recipes I LOVE:
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Sugar Glaze
These soft pumpkin cookies with sugar glaze icing are bursting with pumpkin pie flavor. With pumpkin pie spices in both the soft cookie and the glaze.
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used Libby's canned pumpkin)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons water (more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, stir butter, oil, pumpkin, sugars, vanilla and eggs together until incorporated and smooth.
Slowly mix in all dry ingredients until completely incorporated.
Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scooper, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
Using the bottom of a small glass, flatten the tops of the cookies to about 1/2 inch thick.
To prevent the dough from sticking to the glass, spray the bottom of the glass with butter spray or press into granulated sugar before flattening. Bake 8-9 minutes (9 minutes was perfect for us).
While cookies bake, stir all ingredients together for glaze until smooth.
Once cookies are finished baking, cool 3-5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.
Spread 1 teaspoon glaze over each warm cookie.
Let glaze harden 1-2 hours before serving. They are also delicious served warm with runny glaze.
Adapted from Lauren's Latest