This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes to cook on Sunday mornings.
This vegetarian dish is packed with protein with the eggs and black beans. The peppers and chilis are the perfect addition to this casserole.
It also keeps really well in the fridge. With five of us, we still have at least one day’s worth of leftovers. Its very filling so one or two pieces usually will quench the appetite.
Vegetarian Egg Casserole
- 1 bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 small red peppers diced
- 3 small yellow peppers diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn frozen or canned
- 3 T green chiles
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Optional toppings:
- sour cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x9 pan with oil.
- In medium saucepan, heat 2t of olive oil. Add the potatoes and salute for about 3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and salute another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the beans, corn and green chiles.
- In medium bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, pepper, and cumin. Stir in the cilantro, green onion, and 1 cup of cheese. Stir in the vegetable mixture from the stove top.
- Add the bowl contents to the greased pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Wait about 5 minutes before serving for the casserole to settle.