This 5 ingredient one pot italian sausage and pasta dish is perfect for busy families who want to put a healthy and easy dinner on the table in a flash.
Sausage and pasta is always a winning combo in my house.
Pasta with sausage and peppers, marinara sauce and mozzarella sprinkled on top equals the perfect midweek 30 minute dinner.
These flavors are loved by everyone in the family and are really easy to cook up quickly.
Tips for this sausage penne pasta recipe:
- You can always add in onions and spinach if you'd like. Sprinkling the top with parsley would be a good idea as well. I wanted to keep this recipe to a simple base that you can add to as you wish.
- Remember to bring the sauce and meat mixture to a low simmer boil before placing the cover on. The first time I made it, I forgot to let it boil first. At the 15 minute mark, the noodles were not even close to done. Oops.
Highly recommend this recipe for rushed weeknight dinners. Its a no fail, easy ingredient recipe.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might like:
5 Ingredient One Pot Italian Sausage and Pasta Dish
This 5 ingredient one pot italian sausage and pasta dish is perfect for busy families who want to put healthy and easy dinners on the table in a flash.
- 2 lb mild Italian pork sausage
- 2 bell peppers (I used one green and one red)
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 25 oz jar of marinara sauce ( I used Classico tomato basil)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Remove the casings from the sausage and place into skillet. Continue to cook sausage until browned, breaking it up into bite size pieces as you cook.
While sausage is browning, chop you bell peppers into small pieces. Add to the skillet after meat is browned and cook for about 3 minutes until peppers are softened.
Add the pasta and marinara sauce to skillet. Fill the marinara jar with water and add the jar full of water to the skillet as well. Stir the ingredients in the mixture.
Turn the heat up to medium high to bring the skillet to a low simmer boil. Cover skillet and cook for about 15 minutes until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir pasta every few minutes to ensure it does not get stuck together.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of mixture and heat for 2 minutes on the stovetop, until cheese is mostly melted. If you would like cheese to be browned, place under broiler for a few minutes for a crunchy cheesy top.