This cheesy chicken quesadilla pie is unique with its bread top covering chicken, cheese and green chile goodness beneath. This is an easy meal to whip up for dinner, but tastes like you've spent hours in the kitchen.
For more chicken dinner ideas, you might enjoy Chicken Enchiladas with Honey and Lime, Baked Chicken Tacos, and Chicken Tortilla Soup.
I love finding new recipes with shredded chicken.
The texture of shredded chicken always reminds me of ordering a chimichanga at my favorite mexican restaurant growing up. The shredded chicken was always so moist and delicious amongst the salsa, cheese and spices.
I love the combination of green chiles, and freshly ground pepper for the chicken quesadilla seasoning. Simple and very delicious.
Tips for this tasty chicken quesadilla pie recipe:
- The recipe includes three 10 inch flour tortillas on the bottom of the pie dish. The recipe also works without the flour layering if it is too high on the carb side for you. So feel free, to scoop the chicken mixture into the pie plate directly and enjoy the torta like bread topping as your carb.
- The green chiles are really optional. I threw them in for a little spice. If you have a crowd that loves mild dishes, this is still delicious even without the green chiles.
Shredded chicken is my favorite version of chicken for quesadilla fillings. Chopped chicken is ok, but I feel that the shredded chicken melds together with the cheese and green chiles better and creates a wonderful creamy goodness.
With the deliciousness of the cheese melting next to the chicken mixture, flour tortillas, and bread topping, is is reminding me that I need a go to fabulous cheese quesadilla recipe as well. I LOVE melting cheese and tortillas. Stay tuned.
If you like this dish, you might like this too:
Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Pie
Cheese Chicken Quesadilla Pie with layers of chicken, cheese, green chiles topped with cheese infused bread.
- 3 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- Canola oil or butter cooking spray
- 3 cups cooked, shredded (about 1 ½ pounds chicken)
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp diced green chiles (adjust amount if you'd like more spice)
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Set your oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Spray cooking spray on the bottom and sides of a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.
Layer and overlap three tortillas, pressing them into the pie dish. In a medium bowl. stir shredded chicken with 1 cup of cheese , minced cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Spoon the mixture into the pie dish.
In the same bowl where you mixed the chicken, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth.
Slowly pour this liquid mixture into pie dish, and make sure to cover the chicken mixture evenly, as you want the bread to puff up over all of the chicken pieces. Sprinkle the top of the dish with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes, until the top surface is golden brown.
Let the pie sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Leave a Reply