Ground beef taco skillet, full of protein and veggies, is a delicious and easy family dinner that everyone will enjoy.
This is a surprisingly easy and exceptionally yummy dinner.
Loaded with grass fed beef, diced tomatoes, onions, corn, monterey jack and cheddar cheeses, sour cream, olives, rice, taco seasoning, cilantro and spring onions, this is a well rounded and filling taco skillet pie dish.
I prefer a taco skillet with rice as I think the rice gives such a nice heartiness to the dish and, of course, adds more texture, which I always love.
Tips for this cheesy taco skillet recipe:
- For the rice, I used a packet of frozen white jasmine rice (from Trader Joe's), microwaved it for 3 minutes, and had it ready for when I needed to throw it in to this skillet. I find this creates the best texture for the rice, rather than throwing in uncooked rice and cooking it in the skillet with the beef broth. I added only 1 cup of the beef broth to this recipe, however, if you'd like to make this a "one pot" dinner, you can add in 1 cup of uncooked rice, 2 cups of beef broth and cook in the covered skillet for 20 minutes, until the rice is soft. It just takes longer this way, and the rice generally does not turn out as fluffy.
- Throw lots of toppings on. You can use what I listed or also add in avocado and salsa. The combo of ingredients in this recipe was perfect for us, but other variations work well too.
- The recipe calls for a whole packet (about a ¼ cup) of taco seasoning. I thought this would be too much, but its perfect.
When you're in the mood for a taco skillet supper, I recommend this one! Our new nickname for this dish is Taco Skillet Delish!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might like:
Delicious Taco Skillet
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- ¼ cup taco seasoning (1 standard size packet)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 ½ cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup black olives
- ¼ cup chopped cliantro
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
In a deep saute pan, saute chopped onions in about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for 2 minutes.
Add the beef to the onions and cook on medium heat until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir occasionally with wooden spoon to break up meat and ensure even cooking. When done, drain fat from pan. Return sauce pan to heat.
Add in the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, whole kernel corn, rice and beef broth. Stir ingredients until combined. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover.
Cook for 10 minutes. Stir mixture and add in shredded cheese. Stir 1 cup of the cheese through the mixture and top with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
Cook on low for 3 minutes until cheese is melted. Top with the delicious toppings listed above. Enjoy!