This garlic sesame tofu stir fry is so easy and so delicious. You can throw this meal together very quickly for a healthy mid-week dinner!
If you would like more tofu recipe ideas, you should try Marinated Tofu, Coconut Crusted Tofu, and Tofu Scramble.
Whenever I mix honey with soy sauce, I seem to always love the dish I'm creating. Its just always a winning proposition. And, of course, this tofu stir fry dish is no exception.
I have been loving discovering delicious tofu recipes recently. We all feel so healthy after eating a savory tofu dinner.
You guys....... a short few weeks ago, I was the world's biggest tofu skeptic, then I discovered this recipe, and oh my goodness.
The trick with tofu is to brown it, so that the texture is not mushy and soft. It was the texture that always freaked me out.
Now that I know how to press tofu and cook the cubes in a hot skillet or wok, I see tofu in a whole new light. Tofu absorbs flavors so well and is really quite easy to brown.
Keys to Delicious Tofu:
- PRESS YOUR TOFU. I really like the Tofu Press by Tofuture. Its so easy to pop your tofu block in the press and place in the fridge for ½ hour for pressing. Super easy cleanup and minimal prep.
- Once pressed, with a large, non serrated knife, carefully and slowly, slice the tofu block through the middle, lengthwise, then slice into bite size cubes.
- Pour oil into HOT non stick skillet or wok and cook the tofu cubes until browned for 5 minutes. Let them cook for the whole 5 minutes, so they can adequately brown. Using a large spatula, carefully turn pieces over to brown on the other side.
- Add in sauce and cook for a few minutes until browned.
Voila! Perfect tofu stir fry. Seriously delicious. My WHOLE family loves this dish.
Sesame Garlic Tofu Stir Fry
Delicious browned tofu comes together so well with a delicious sauce, topped off with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Sesame Seeds
- 4 spring onions
Press tofu in a press (I like the one mentioned in notes) or by placing on a paper towel lined plate. Cover tofu block with paper towel, and place heavy object on top (book or heavy skillet are good ideas). This should take about a ½ hour to drain.
Once the tofu has drained, slice in half through the middle lengthwise, then cut into cubes and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
In a large non-stick skillet or wok, add sesame oil and turn up to medium high heat.
Once oil is heated up, add the tofu to the skillet and brown on all sides. You'll want to let the tofu cook for 5 minutes, before scooping up with large spatula and turning over to brown other side.
While tofu is browning, whisk together sauce ingredients.
Once the tofu has browned and crisped up on all sides, add the sauce to the skillet. It should start to thicken immediately. I also toss the red pepper in at this point, as we like it to remain crispy (rather than sauteing for awhile). Toss the tofu around to fully coat, then remove from heat.
Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped spring onions on top. Enjoy!
- This is my favorite Tofu Press. So easy to use and so easy to clean up! Tofu Press by Tofuture
Recipe adapted from Table for Two Blog
Leave a Reply