Easy homemade caramel popcorn recipe that is buttery and sweet and so fun to make for the holidays!
Oh my goodness, homemade caramel popcorn, why did I not make this sooner? So amazingly delicious.
But, I thought recently, homemade caramel popcorn is probably so much better, because everything is better homemade, am I right?
Turns out, I'm right. This recipe creates the most perfect caramel popcorn. So buttery with just the right amount of sweetness and salt.
Ingredients you will need:
- Butter - 2 sticks
- Light Corn Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Kosher salt
- Baking Soda
- 16 cups popped popcorn or ½ cup popcorn kernels ready for popping
How do I make Homemade Caramel Popcorn?
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Pour 16 cups popcorn in oven-safe bowl.
- In medium saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir for 5 minutes while mixture is boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda carefully.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn in the bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Place bowl in oven and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure coverage of caramel.
- Remove from oven and pour popcorn on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let cool a few minutes and Enjoy!
How long does caramel popcorn last?
If you store your delicious caramel popcorn in an airtight container, the popcorn will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
This recipe is easy, delicious and its just so darn fun to make. It puts a smile on the faces of the recipients.
Enjoy this special treat. This caramel popcorn is such a great holiday gift for friends and family!
Homemade Caramel Popcorn
Easy homemade caramel popcorn recipe that is so fun to make for the holidays or really anytime of the year!
- 2 sticks of butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 16 cups popped popcorn or ½ cup unpopped kernels
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Prepare the popcorn. Pour already prepared popcorn into oven safe bowl (I use a dutch oven) or air pop ½ cup of unpopped kernels, then put popcorn in oven safe bowl.
In medium sized saucepan, combine the butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Melt slowly over medium heat until mixture is at a full boil. Stir constantly for 5 minutes while boiling.
Remove pan from heat and carefully add in baking soda. Stir the baking soda in carefully as the caramel mixture will expand quickly.
Pour the caramel mixture over popcorn and gently stir until the popcorn kernels are evenly coated with caramel.
Place bowl in oven and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to insure the caramel mixture is evenly coating the popcorn.
Remove from oven and place on parchment paper lined baking trays to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from Meaningful Eats