Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies are refreshingly light with lemon juice, zest, and lemon boxed cake mix. These are chewy cookies with the perfect slight crunch.
Lemon white chocolate chip cookies anyone? Fresh lemon and white chocolate chips….hmmm……
Wow, these are such a nice surprise. There are no words to adequately describe the complete wonderfulness of this flavor combo.
Growing up, I remember eating lemon bars with lots of powdered sugar on top, and loving every moment. But, I do not remember trying many lemon cookies.
The mix of white chocolate and lemon is extraordinary. They taste like a warm and breezy summer day where you’re lounging on the beach listening to the waves (or your favorite playlist). Not a humid 120 degree, sticky yucky summer day, but the most PERFECT summer day you can possibly imagine. 🙂
These are easy lemon cookies to throw together with lemon boxed cake mix as one of the ingredients.
I believe the magic is in the fresh lemon juice and zest. Lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest…whenever zest is involved, magic happens.
I used regular flavor crisco shortening instead of butter. There are many cookies out there that I believe taste a little lighter (less dense) with crisco. The lighter texture allows you to really experience the taste of the white chocolate chips and lemon.
I know I talk about dough a lot, but honestly, this dough is out of this world. This might be tied with rocky road cookies as the best dough eating experience out there.
I made three cookie sheets of these cookies. I think about 10 minutes at 350 degrees is the best. When you take them out of the oven, they will still look a little soft and not quite done, but they cool up very nicely. They cool up and become chewy on the inside with just the slightest crunch on the outside.
When I cooked the last tray for 12 minutes, the cookies were a little too crunchy on the outside. They definitely looked brown after 12 minutes. Still yummy, but I prefer the chewier version. I mention this to illustrate how sensitive this recipe is to your cooking time.
Enjoy these lip smacking treats!! 🙂
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup lemon boxed cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 cup original flavor crisco shortening softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together boxed cake mix, flour, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a electric mixer bowl, cream the butter, and sugars together on medium speed.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix just until combined and not a second more. DO NOT over mix.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough bowl and refrigerate for a least an hour. I refrigerated my dough for several hours. The refrigeration really helps hold the dough together and makes it much easier when scooping out mounds for the cookie tray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out chilled dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake between 9-11 minutes. (I mentioned in post above, I think 10 mins is perfect and 12 minutes a little too much).
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for four minutes, then pull cookies while still on the parchment paper onto a wire rack to cook completely.
Slightly adapted from Sarah's Bake Studio