Easy dutch oven no knead bread recipe that is very quick to prepare and absolutely delicious. Homemade bread cooking in the oven is the absolute best.
For more delicious breads, you might enjoy Banana Bread with Sour Cream, Moist Pumpkin Bread with Brown Butter Maple Icing, Cranberry Nut Bread, Homemade French Bread, Homemade Dinner Rolls, and Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Crust.
Holy Moly, I know how to make homemade no knead bread now.
This recipe has seriously opened a whole new world to me. A world of delicious smelling bread cooking in my very own oven.
Learning how to make bread from scratch has been on my to do list for quite some time, and boy does it feel good to finally check it off my list.
This bread is AMAZING. My family was super excited about the bread too. We polished it off in a matter of a few hours. Who knew one could create homemade bread with no kneading in a dutch oven.
We ate our slices while the bread was still warm with melting pats of butter on top. Heaven.
This is a quick no knead bread recipe that is truly simple. I do need to qualify “quick”. After you complete the initial mixing of the flour, yeast, warm water and salt, the dough does need to rest and rise for between 8-18 hours. Mine rested for 12 hours, and turned out perfectly.
Tips for a perfect no knead bread:
- Do not over-mix the ingredients. The dough will look “shaggy” fairly quickly (under a minute). You can stop stirring at this point and place the saran wrap over the dough bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients – its very sticky. Wooden spoons are the best choice.
- Make sure to heavily flour the parchment paper, before moving the risen dough to the parchment paper. Its so much easier to form into a ball with enough flour at the base.
- Start working on punching the dough right after you place the empty dutch oven in the oven to warm up for 30 minutes. This way, your ball of dough will be ready when the dutch oven has warmed up enough.
- Try the slices warm with pats of butter on top – heavenly! 🙂
I’m sure there are many no knead bread variations, but its hard to imagine a better bread than the one this no knead bread dutch oven recipe delivers.
I would never have thought to use my dutch oven to make a no knead artisan bread, but now I know. This is a very good idea and one I will be making over and over again, I am sure.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these:
No Knead Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for shaping)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast until well mixed.
- Pour in warm water and use a wooden spoon to stir until a shaggy dough forms. Do not overmix. The dough will be very sticky. You will get to the shaggy dough point quickly (under a minute).
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and put the bowl aside in a warm place for between 8-18 hours until the dough rises, bubble and flattens on top.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Once oven is preheated, place a 6-quart Dutch oven (with cover) in oven 30 minutes before baking.
During the 30 minutes that the dutch oven is warming, complete following steps:
- Punch down dough. A few punches is fine - it shapes up quickly.
- Generously flour a sheet of parchment paper; transfer dough to parchment and, with floured hands, quickly shape into a ball.
- Place dough on parchment paper and sprinkle top lightly with flour. Top with a sheet of plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.
Remove Dutch oven from oven.
- Uncover dough and carefully transfer to Dutch oven, with parchment paper. Cover Dutch oven and return to oven. Note: you can also transfer the dough without the parchment paper, but I find it much easier with parchment paper.
- Bake bread 45 minutes covered, then another 5 to 10 minutes uncovered until dough is baked through and golden brown on top. Cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!
SO yummy with butter placed on a slice of warm bread right out of the oven.
Adapted from Girl Versus Dough