Easy Puerto Rican rice dinner recipe that will wow the family. Pork sausage, pepperoncinis, onions, mexicorn, and cilantro combine to create a super flavorful rice dish.
More delicious ideas for nourishing midweek dinners include Oven Baked Tacos, Homemade Shepherd's Pie, Beef Enchiladas, and Thai Basi Chicken.
This Puerto Rican Rice Dinner is such a unique treat. Also, its a one pot meal. Always love the one pot dinners.
Maybe its the use of the dutch oven in bringing all of the flavors together or the spices with the crumbled pork sausage or the cilantro and corn, whatever it is, my family of five loved this recipe.
The sliced peppercornis and the juice from the jar really added to the unique flavor of this dish.
I typically do not buy Mexicorn, but I will now. The kids seemed to really like this addition. I used Green Giant's Mexicorn in a can, which consists of whole kernel corn and chopped red and green bell peppers.
- I could not find the recommended Goya Saxon seasoning at our local store. I substituted the seasoning with the chipotle seasoning packet by McCormick, and it worked well.
- Do not skip the chopped cilantro on top. It adds a lot to have the freshly chopped herb mixed in with the warm rice mixture.
- Its nice to serve with a dollop of sour cream on the side. The dish is not too spicy, but my kids usually enjoy the creamy texture of sour cream mixed in even with our mildly spicy dishes.
- This also keeps in the refrigerator really well. We enjoyed the dish the next day just as much as the first day. The spices and other flavors had melded together even more.
This is a quick dish to whip up that tastes like you've been slaving in the kitchen all day. I love my dutch oven - recipes with the dutch oven often have that effect.
Puerto Rican Rice
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup long grain white rice (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoncinis
- ¼ cup pepperoncini juice from jar
- 1 can (11 oz) Mexicorn (drained)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 packets Goya Saxon Cilantro-Achiote Seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in the center position.
Brown pork sausage and chopped yellow onion in dutch oven on medium/high heat until the pork is mostly cooked through and the onion is softened. (about 5 minutes) Transfer the pork/onion mixture to a bowl (reserve fat in dutch oven).
Add the rice to the reserved fat and saute, while stirring frequently, until rice is light golden color for about 10 minutes.
Scoop pork and onion mixture into dutch oven and add in water, pepperoncini, pepperoncini juice, seasoning and mexicorn. Bring this mixture to a boil.
Cover dutch oven and bake until rice and tender and liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Stir mixture after 15 minutes.
Remove dutch oven and stir, fluffing up the mixture. Stir in fresh chopped cilantro and serve in bowls. Spoons are the best utensil for this dinner. Much easier to scoop out all of the goodness.
Slightly adapted from Culinary Hill
Leave a Reply