Healthy sausage lentil soup recipe loaded with veggies and italian sausage is such a delicious comfort food for the cool Fall weather.
We love soup, dutch oven, and slow cooker meals when the cooler weather begins. Some of our favorites include Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles, Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, Crockpot Butter Chicken, and Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Its starting to cool down here, the leaves are falling, and we actually need to turn on the heater at home.
Yes, Fall has arrived.
With the decrease in temps, I always start to crave warm soup. I wanted something healthy and loaded with veggies today. This delicious sausage lentil soup fit the bill perfectly.
Chopped carrots, zucchinis, onions, diced tomatoes, brown lentils, and fresh chopped basil combine to create a hearty, healthy soup that warms you up in an instant. This soup is similar to the famous soup at Carraba's Italian Grill.
Tips for this sausage lentil soup:
- You can add fresh grated parmesan cheese on top for garnish. The cheese melting adds a nice added texture to the soup.
- You could turn this into a lentil soup with sausage and spinach if you'd like. You could switch the zucchinis and carrots up with spinach or just add the spinach in with all of the veggies already in this soup. You would want to add the spinach in about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time. It will wilt and blend in with the soup quickly.
- You could also turn this into a lentil sausage kale soup. You would want to add your chopped kale into the skillet with the sausage and cook for 2 minutes before placing in your dutch oven. The kale should cook the full hour with the rest of soup ingredients.
- For more of a lentil sausage stew texture, you can decrease the broth by one cup, and it will have more of a chili texture. Today, I really felt like a soup consistency, so I added about 6 cups of broth. Very customizable.
This soup is easy to store in the fridge and enjoy the next day. It heats up really well and is just as good as the first day. Because of this, you can scoop this soup into the kids' thermoses for lunches the next day. Yay!
Hope you enjoy this delicious soup as much as we did!
Sausage Lentil Soup
Healthy sausage lentil soup recipe loaded with veggies and italian sausage is such a delicious comfort food for cool Fall weather.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 ½ oz cans) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups dry lentils (I used brown)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- fresh basil for garnish
Cook and brown the sausage in skillet over medium/high heat. Move the sausage around and crumble as cooking.
Add in the garlic to skillet towards end of meat cooking time and cook for about 1 minutes.
Add meat mixture into dutch oven along with all of the other ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover dutch oven.
Simmer the soup for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender. You can add in additional broth or water if the soup is too thick.
Sprinkle fresh chopped basil on top of soup in the dutch oven. You're ready to serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Cookie Rookie