This Shrimp Creole dish is so easy, flavorful and soothing. With green peppers, onions, shrimp, green olives, and tomato sauce, the flavors come together so well for a healthy, comfort food dinner. If you are looking for more soups or comfort food dinner recipes, you might enjoy Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, Enchilada Casserole, Sausage Chicken Gumbo or Rigatoni and Sausage Dish.
This shrimp creole dish was such a nice surprise! Just what we needed last night during our shelter in place days.
Warm soups and stews are just the best when you need homemade comfort food.
And the good news here is, this dish is easy and quick to throw together, but tastes like you’ve been working on it all day.
Ingredients Needed to make Shrimp Creole
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Green Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Tomato Sauce
- White Wine
- Green Olives
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Shrimp, deveined, peeled, tail-off)
How to Make Shrimp Creole
- Saute Veggies in olive oil over medium heat until softened
- Add in minced garlic and 2T tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the remaining tomato sauce, water, wine, olives, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, and cumin. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add shrimp in and bring to simmer, simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy over fluffy rice!
We put file powder and/or Old Bay Spice on top of our creole, for an extra punch of spice. You could also chop up cilantro or add more freshly ground pepper.
I love making dishes that are so yummy to enjoy as a leftover for lunch the next day. This one falls into that category. Having a homemade shrimp creole for lunch is such a treat.
I hope you make this soon and your family enjoys it as much as mine did!
This Shrimp Creole dish is so easy, flavorful and soothing. With green peppers, onions, shrimp and tomato sauce, the flavors come together so well for a healthy, satisfying dinner.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 lb medium sized shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail off)
Heat large saute pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add in olive oil, onions, and bell pepper. Cook until veggies soften.
Add in garlice and 2T of tomato sauce. Cook for two minutes.
Add in the remaining tomato sauce, water, wine, olives, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, and cumin. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
After the 5 minutes, add in the shrimp and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, until shrimp is cooked.
Serve over white rice. Enjoy!
Adapted from Coco and Ash