Slow cooker enchiladas recipe with chicken, green chiles, sour cream, freshly grated cheddar cheese and green enchilada sauce that is delicious and so easy to throw together for a wholesome family dinner.
A delicious slow cooker enchilada recipe is a must in everyone's recipe box.
Enchiladas are so warm and cozy to enjoy at the end of the day, and everyone in my fam enjoys them.
I made this recipe tonight and knew from the first bite that this was a keeper. Its creamy with just the right amount of spice.
The good news is that this is a fairly easy recipe to pull together. Simply spray the bottom of your slow cooker, place the chicken breasts in and add the next eight ingredients. Set you cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours. Your house will smell wonderful all day.
After the 6-8 hours, follow the rest of the instructions (they're easy too!), and you will have a delicious dinner ready for the fam.
Tips for these easy slow cooker enchiladas:
- You can use flour or corn tortillas, whichever you enjoy most. Lately, we have been using these handmade corn tortillas from our local grocery store that are absolutely delish. They're moist and a little thicker than most tortillas. You might want to be on the lookout for them as well - I feel like these handmade type of tortillas are showing up more on the shelves.
- I cooked the chicken in my slow cooker for 6 hours, and it was completely ready to go. I put 6-8 hours cooking time in the instructions, because longer is fine as well since its cooking on low.
- You can make my Homemade Taco Seasoning instead of buying the packet at the store. Its quick to throw together with spices you probably already have in your cabinet.
I was also able to put an enchilada in thermoses for my kids' lunches the next day, which was much appreciated.
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did.
SAVE THIS SLOW COOKER ENCHILADAS TO YOUR "DINNERS" PINTEREST BOARD!
And, let's be friends on Pinterest! I'm pinning delicious recipes all the time.
Slow Cooker Enchiladas
Slow cooker enchiladas recipe with chicken, green chilies, sour cream, freshly grated cheddar cheese and green enchilada sauce that is so easy to throw together for a delicious family dinner.
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts
- 1 taco seasoning packet (1 oz)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can green chilis (4 oz)
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can green enchilada sauce (10 oz)
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- olives, sliced (to sprinkle over top of casserole)
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
Spray slow cooker with butter spray. Place chicken breasts inside slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, onion, green chilis, lime juice, and water on top of chicken.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Once chicken is done cooking, using two forks, shred chicken into bite size pieces. The chicken should shred very easily at this point.
Stir together cream of chicken soup and sour cream.
Stir half of the soup mixture in with the shredded chicken. Spread the other half of the soup mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Place a scoop of the chicken mixture on a tortilla. Sprinkle on a small handful of cheese and roll up. Place enchilada seam side down in the baking dish.
Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Pour enchilada sauce over the top and cover with remaining shredded cheese. Top with chopped green onions and olives.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from Six Sisters Stuff