Easy Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe for the Best Cut out cookies around! Your kids will have so much fun coming up with decorating ideas for these yummy holiday cookies.
This Christmas sugar cookie recipe is THE one to use whenever you need to make sugar cookies. Growing up, I always thought about how lucky I was that my Mom made the best sugar cookies in the world. Its this Christmas sugar cookie recipe, right here, that she was busy baking every year at Christmas time. I know for sure that THIS is the magical recipe because my Mom texted it to me two days ago.
The orange zest in this Christmas sugar cookie recipe is fabulous. I love zest in cookie batter. It lightens it up and adds an extra delicious punch.
This is an easy sugar cookies recipe to throw together with ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard. In order for the dough to come together, you do need to chill in the fridge for 1 hour, prior to rolling out the dough.
I like to roll out the delicious dough to a 1/4 inch. I used to roll out thinner, and found that thicker is SO much easier to work with (much less dough breakage). Also, biting into a thick, fresh out of the oven cut out sugar cookie is heavenly.
For the buttercream frosting, I used this homemade buttercream frosting recipe. I recommend using mini spatulas to spread the frosting. I’ve been finding that these spatulas make frosting cupcakes and cookies so much easier, and they are far more effective than a knife.
This is the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever tried. It is always light with just the right amount of sweetness. Because the cookie is not overly sweet, there’s plenty of room for adding a delicious frosting and/or another fun topping without tipping the sweet scales too much.
I always like a soft sugar cookie recipe better than the crunchier ones, and this one is just the right amount of softness, without breaking apart.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
If you like this recipe, you would probably like these too:
Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons milk I use whole milk always
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt I use kosher salt always
- Thoroughly cream the shortening, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla.
- Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out delicious dough to a 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Use your cut outs to form adorable cookie shapes.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes in preheated oven.
- Cool in cookie pan for about 10 minutes, then move cookies to wire rack for further cooling.
- Frost and decorate to your heart's content. 🙂
Adapted from Better Homes and Garden Christmas cookie recipe book.