Easy and healthy sauteed spinach with olive oil, butter, chopped white onion, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. So good.
This easy sautéed spinach dish is SUPER yummy. Its difficult to believe you’re eating food that is so good for you.
I might go so far as to say that this is the MOST flavorful veggie dish I’ve ever tasted.
I served this sautéed spinach as a side with my pan fried cod recipe and it was just perfect.
Adding fresh lemon juice, onions and red pepper flakes makes the spinach taste a like a treat. I think its the variety of flavors as well as textures that make this a surprisingly good healthy sautéed spinach dish.
Tips for this sautéed baby spinach dish:
- Use a deep saute dish (think dutch oven) to prepare this dish. When you throw a pound of baby spinach leaves into a 1-2 inch deep sauce dish you will find some of your spinach leaves might escape the pan as your stirring with your wooden spoon. Ive made this twice, once with a 2 inch deep sauce pan and the next with my dutch oven. Much easier to manage the greens in my dutch oven.
- You can adjust the red pepper flakes to your liking. A little goes a long way. I made one serving with 1/2 teaspoon of the flakes for my husband and another serving with a pinch of flakes for my 9 year old. Both were happy with their versions of the recipe.
- Use Fresh lemon juice. Just so good with the spinach. Oh my goodness. I love lemons.
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did.
You might also like:
Easy Sautéed Spinach
Easy and healthy sauteed spinach with olive oil, butter, chopped white onion, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Adding to my list of delicious side dishes.
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Heat oil in deep sauce pan over medium heat.
Add chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until onion turns translucent.
Add garlic and stir about a minute longer until garlic is aromatic, not brown.
Add baby spinach, salt and pepper. Stir to coat spinach in oil. Continue stirring every 30 seconds until spinach is wilted, for about 4-5 minutes. Once spinach is wilted, immediately remove from heat, to avoid over cooking.
Add fresh lemon juice and red pepper flakes to spinach mix and stir. You are ready to serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from Feasting not Fasting