Homemade creamy sausage potato soup with bacon and kale, similar to zuppa toscana soup from Olive Garden, is such a delicious warm and cozy dinner.
Italian sausage, crispy bacon, white onions, kale, and baby dutch potatoes work so well together in this delicious sausage potato soup.
I was craving soup today, even though the signs of spring are definitely here, with temps creeping towards the low 70s.
The comfort of a warm, creamy soup, chock full of meat, veggies and potatoes is always welcome at our dinner table. I find soup to be so soothing at any time of the year. Don’t you agree?
Tips for this creamy sausage potato soup:
- To cook your bacon in the fastest, easiest, and most delicious way possible, I recommend following my steps for cooking bacon in the oven. Utilizing your oven makes the preparing bacon process so much easier, and cleaner. I promise, you will love this!
- I purchase my kale in a bag with already prepared chopped kale that has been washed and rinsed, making it ready for dropping in the soup. You will want to use lacinato kale. Lacinato kale is more tender than red kale, making it better for quicker cooking dishes like this soup.
This is an easy potato and sausage soup that you can whip up in 30 minutes. This is very similar to the sausage and potato soup from Olive Garden.
Hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!
You might also enjoy:
Sausage Potato Soup
Creamy sausage and potato soup with bacon and kale, similar to zuppa toscana soup from Olive Garden.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1.5 lbs baby Dutch yellow potatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 pieces of crispy bacon (I used thick cut)
Over medium high heat, cook the sausage in a dutch oven or large stockpot, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving sausage grease in pot.
Add in the white onions and saute for about 5 minutes on medium high, until softened. Add in chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add potatoes, chicken stock, water, cooked sausage, and continue cooking on medium high, until mixture has reached a low simmer, or until dutch potatoes are tender.
Add in kale and cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper in soup and stir. Add in chopped freshly cooked bacon and stir. Serve and Enjoy!!
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven