Pumpkin spice cupcake recipe with cream cheese frosting from DC cupcakes. So delicious. The maple in the frosting knocks the taste out of the park.
I found this spectacular pumpkin spice cupcakes recipe in The Cupcake Diaries, by the founders of Georgetown Cupcakes and stars of “DC Cupcakes”.
I love all of the flavors incorporated in these pumpkin spice cupcakes. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, honey, and maple syrup. The cupcakes taste like the quintessential Fall time treat. The maple cream cheese frosting is perfect with the rich pumpkin taste of the cake.
I have seen recipes with pumpkin spice frosting for pumpkin cupcakes, but I can tell you that pumpkin cupcakes with maple frosting is a treat to behold. The maple kicks these babies up a notch.
I cannot believe I have been through as many Falls as I have without tasting this combo. My family devoured them. Next time, I want to create maple fondant leaves to adorn the top of the cakes. Alas, my time ran out this round, and the cupcakes disappeared before the fondant leaves hit the production line.
If you enjoy pumpkin desserts, you should check out these too:
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree canned or homemade puree
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup water
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard cupcake pans with 12 baking cups each.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a (Kitchen Aid) stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and honey.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture, then add one-third of the water, beating until well incorporated. Add another one-third of the flour mixture, followed by one-third of the water. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining water, and beat just until combined.
- Use a standard-size ice cream scoop to fill each baking cup with batter, so that they are two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a (Kitchen Aid) stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat until well combined or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Transfer the maple cream cheese frosting into a plastic piping bag, fitted with a large round metal tip.
Source: The Cupcake Diaries