Easy Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken with pineapples, red peppers, bone-in chicken thighs, and served with a side of rice, this is a delectable dinner.
This crockpot hawaiian chicken dish blends many flavors together perfectly, creating a sweet and sour chicken dinner that the whole family will love.
I can’t believe we have never made a chicken dish with pineapples in my house. So glad we broke the mold and ventured into the more tropical flavor palette.
Crockpot dishes are typically so easy to throw together and this one is no exception. The only extra step you have to take is browning the chicken thighs on the top and bottom in a skillet before placing in the crockpot.
Tips for this crockpot hawaiian chicken dinner:
- Feel free to add more red peppers if you’d like. My family requested more next time.
- It’s nice to throw a few uncooked pineapples on the rice before serving so you have a mixture of the cooked pineapples and uncooked. Nice texture balance.
- I used canned pineapples for this recipe this time, but for fun, I think I might cut a fresh pineapple up and see if it kicks the flavor up a notch or two next time.
We served our dish with fluffy jasmine rice, but you could use brown rice or simply serve it over salad greens. All options are great. My husband really enjoyed his over romaine lettuce.
If you’re in the mood for sweet and sour, and would like it to be on the healthier side, try this recipe. I think you’ll be pleased with the flavor and the ease of cooking this dish.
Also, the house smells amazing while this is simmering away in the crockpot. Trying this recipe for that reason alone is enough.
Hope you enjoy!
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
Easy Crockpot Chicken with pineapples, red peppers, bone-in chicken thighs, and served with a side of rice, this is a delectable dinner.
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in skin on
- 2 cups pineapple, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger or 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 red peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- chopped parsley for garnish, optional
Over high heat, brown the chicken thighs for 3-5 minutes on each side in a large skillet.
Turn your crockpot onto low and add the honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic to the bottom. Mix sauce with wooden spoon.
Add the pineapple and onion chunks to the bottom of your crockpot and mix in with sauce.
With tongs, place the browned chicken thighs into crockpot on top of sauce/onion/pineapple mixture.
Cook for 5 hours on low or 3 hours on high.
Mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water, and mix into crockpot to thicken the sauce. Add chopped red peppers at this time. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Serve with fluffy rice and you're all set for a delicious healthy family dinner.
Adapted from Dinner then Dessert