Healthy Moroccan chicken recipe with wonderful spices served over warm couscous is one of my family’s favorite dinners.
If you’re looking for more great midweek dinner recipes, you might want to try Oven Baked Chicken Tacos, Black Pepper Chicken, Ground Beef Enchiladas, Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas, Homemade Sloppy Joe’s, and Thai Basil Chicken.
This is an easy moroccan chicken with olives dish to whip up for a mid-week dinner.
You know, after making this dish, I’m wondering if I should just cook onions with coriander, cumin, garlic, paprika, and turmeric every morning, so my house smells Amazing all the time.
The aroma you will enjoy with this dish are out of this world. It makes the house so warm and cozy with the anticipation of a delicious dinner just around the corner.
There are so many moroccan chicken stew recipes that look incredibly delicious. This is my first moroccan chicken recipe I’ve tried and am so glad I did. So delicious and its a one pot dish. Love it.
The spices in this dish mixed with the green olives complement the chicken so well. The spices include ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. I just used a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can adjust as you wish.
Tips for this easy moroccan chicken recipe:
- Use a dutch oven or deep skillet with a cover.
- You can add saffron to the spice mix as well.
- I served this over couscous, but you could also serve with fluffy jasmine rice or brown rice, and it would be equally as yummy. The couscous absorbs the delicious sauce and its texture complements the other ingredients so well.
We really love this moroccan chicken thighs recipe and have made it a lot in this past year. Its just so easy to throw together and tastes delicious.
You might also like:
Moroccan Chicken Recipe
Healthy Moroccan chicken dish recipe with wonderful spices served over warm couscous is one of my family's favorite dinners.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups small diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced into 4 strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a dutch oven or large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
- Dry the chicken pieces and season them with salt and pepper.
Place them in the dutch oven brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until slightly softened.
- Add the ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric and cayenne pepper and stir together. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat with the spice mixture.
- Pour the chicken stock into the skillet so that 2/3 of the chicken is submerged.
- Bring liquid to a simmer, cover the skillet and simmer on medium low heat 20-25 minutes.
Add the sliced olives and sliced lemons.
- Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and turn the heat to high.
Cook for another 6-8 minutes until sauce reduces slightly. Stir cilantro into sauce.
Serve chicken on a bed of warm couscous. Spoon sauce over the top. Garnish with more cilantro.
Adapted from Food52