Sofritas Tofu recipe that is easy to make, deliciously spicy, and tastes just like the yummy Chipotle sofritas bowls.
I love the sofritas tofu at Chipotle, so, naturally, wanted to recreate it in my own kitchen for the fam.
Luckily, I found out, it is super easy to whip up and stunningly delicious with just the right amount of spice.
Sofritas Ingredients you will need:
- Poblano pepper
- One can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (this can be found in the Hispanic foods aisle at your grocery store)
- Minced garlic
- Smoked paprika or chili powder
- Your favorite red salsa (chunky or smooth)
- Canola oil
- Sea Salt
- 1 16 oz package of Extra Firm Tofu
- Cilantro and Cotija Cheese - optional toppings
What does "Sofritas" mean?
The definition of sofritas is organic, shredded tofu braised in chipotle chiles, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices.
"Sofrito" refers to a basic food preparation in Latin American, Spanish and Portuguese cooking. It typically consists of aromatic ingredients cut into small pieces and sautéed or braised in cooking oil, as in the Sofritas dish here.
How to make Sofritas?
In a blender or food processor, mix poblano pepper, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and salsa, until fully mixed and maintaining a paste like texture (takes about 2 minutes).
In a skillet, heat canola oil on medium high heat. Add pressed extra firm tofu to the pan and begin to brown. Cook on both sides until both are browned.
Pour sauce over tofu and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Simmer for 15 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro and cotija cheese. Enjoy!
Since making this for the first time a week ago, we have made it twice. We love the taste, it keeps REALLY well in the fridge for several days, and you can enjoy it in several different ways including:
- Over spinach leaves for a healthy and delicious Sofritas salad
- Warmed up by itself with a side of corn chips
- With delicious toppings - we like cilantro and cotija cheese, but you could also add spring onions or chopped green peppers.
We really love this dish and hope you will too!
Sofritas Tofu recipe that is easy to make, deliciously spicy and tastes just like the yummy Chipotle sofritas bowls.
- ½ of one poblano pepper
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for mild or 3-4 for spicy
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or chili powder
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 16 oz package extra firm tofu
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional topping)
- Crumbled Cotija Cheese (optional topping)
Roast your poblano pepper: You can either hold the pepper over the flame on your stovetop until blistery and browned for a few minutes, or put it under the broiler in your oven for 15 minutes, turning at halfway point.
Make Sauce: Place all of the rest of the ingredients through the salsa in a food processor or blender to blend well. (I used my Vitamix) The sauce should form a thick paste when completed after about 2 minutes of blending.
Prepare Tofu: Crumble tofu into pan turned on medium high heat with 2 tbsp of canola oil warming. Cook the tofu for a few minutes, then turn over to other side and cook until slightly browned.
Combine sauce and tofu: Pour sauce on top of tofu with ½ cup water and stir. Turn to medium heat where the mixture is just simmering. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve and Enjoy. We like adding chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese on top.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum